Monday, 24 September 2012

Wild Wild West

This past weekend, Ben's parents treated us to a fantastic holiday in Jackson, WY for Ben's 40th birthday.  We had a bit of a dicey start, let's just say Steve's requisite three hour window came in very handy on the way over to O'Hare.

We stayed at the Rustic Inn which was really nice, each room was its own cabin, they had Molton Brown toiletries, and I think they might have had one of the better hotel breakfasts I have had.  I was won over by the cheesy vegetable scrambled eggs, fresh baked pastries, and the retirees fawning over my son.

Atticus was more than happy to help us un-pack when we arrived.

"Is this what you were looking for?"


The first day we went to Yellowstone National Park and hiked to Riddle Lake.  Yellowstone is massive and we couldn't make it to Old Faithful or Artist Point due to a unruly 15 month old.  Ben broke in our new baby carrier and Atticus surprisingly didn't complain too much during the hike.


Ben also broke in his new wide-angle lens.  I have to say I am impressed with its capabilities.


Our little guy on the lookout for bears.


The reason he was on the lookout, the deliciously smelly Nutter Butters!


Atticus provided perimeter security while the adults had lunch. Bears better watch out.


One of the more stressful things about going on holiday is making sure your little one is adequately nourished. The field kitchen in operation.


My (Lisa) mad skills behind the camera.

Baby carrier gets an A+ from me! 


The second day we went to the Jackson Hole ski area.  We rode the tram up to Rendezvous Mountain. Atticus loved the tram ride and was the only one up there that wasn't remotely affected by the sudden change in altitude.  Perhaps we have a future mountaineer on our hands?

The three generations of Hobson men at the top of Rendezvous Mountain.


Beryl and Steve enjoying the height and scenery.





10,450 ft, pretty mean feat for a 15 month old!

Can't really explain this, so I won't, just makes me chuckle every time I see it.

The third day, we went on a pretty strenuous hike to Jenny Lake which was at the foot of the Grand Tetons (French for large breasts).  Pretty strenuous for a seven-month pregnant lady and two retirees; I think Ben would have classified the hike as easy.

Mount Owen, from the car park.


Jenny Lake


Autumn in the Teton National Park.

Ben teaching Atticus how to throw rocks into the water.  Hopefully this doesn't translate into throwing rocks at other children in the park.

Three Choibsons for now. 

The Grand Tetons.

Back in the hotel grounds, all is right with the world: two sticks, one in each hand. It's Kendo time!

I will leave you with a video of our dare devil or klutz, you be the judge.




No comments:

Post a Comment